Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Hearty Lentil and Vegetable Soup

Kenzie, I apologize ahead of time for this post.  And for the soup.  I know it combines all your worst ingredients ;)

So.  Lentils and mushrooms!!!  Mmmmmmm!

But in all seriousness, despite the fact that this soup includes Kenzie's worst nightmares, it was soooo good.  No one else in the house would eat it, besides me and my mom.  Everyone hates mushrooms, and as I said, Kenzie also hates lentils.  But that was totally okay with me and Mom: we got to eat it in peace all by ourselves for the next few days.  I was happy to bring it to lunch at work - it almost made going back after our two-week break acceptable :)

This was the first recipe I made when we got home from Florida, and I was feeling climate shock.  It was perfect soup weather (since we were snowed in and enjoying 2 snow days).  We were in need of a nice healthy and hearty soup, full of goodness like mushrooms, carrots, onions, celery and lentils, and flavored with tomato paste, garlic, and thyme.  It ends up tasting a lot like a stew - and with those big meaty mushrooms, I swear you won't miss the meat.  My mom didn't.  And she usually does.  We both seriously loved this soup.  In fact I am currently craving it.  Make it soon.... just not if you are having Kenzie over.

Recipe:

hearty lentil and vegetable soup
from Main Street Cuisine
serves 6-8

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 medium onions, thinly cut into rings
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 10-ounce package white mushrooms, cut in half or quartered
1 cup lentils
4 carrots, thinly sliced
3 ribs of celery, chopped
1 carton vegetable broth
1 cup water
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Instructions:

1) In a large Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat.  Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 3-4 minutes.  Add minced garlic and continue to sauté another 1-2 minutes.  Raise heat to medium-high, adding mushrooms and stirring another 3-4 minutes.

2) Add lentils, carrots, celery, vegetable broth, water, tomato paste, and dried thyme.  Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer.  Cover pot and let simmer for 20 minutes.

3) Taste soup and adjust seasonings with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment