Sunday, January 12, 2014

Vegan Chili

Now before you freak out, no, I'm not suddenly a vegan.  But the vegans have some really great recipes that vegetarians can totally work with.  Sometimes - like in this case - the recipe doesn't have any weird vegan ingredients, and is simply just a super delicious vegetarian food.  Other times it may call for weird stuff like vegan ricotta or fake cheese, and you can just use the real deal.  I've been pinning lots of vegan recipes lately with this in mind!

A friend from high school recently had a baby who has lots of food allergies.  Because she's nursing, she has to be on a super strict diet; she is gluten free, vegan, and even has to be careful about which fruits and vegetables she eats!  I've shared a few recipes with her and kept an eye out whenever she posts recipes herself, because it looks like we have similar tastes.  One day she asked for the best vegan chili recipe, and one of her friends posted this one.  I checked it out and thought it looked awesome - and it is.

I think this might be my favorite chili of all time.  All those delicious vegetables: mushrooms (I left them out to avoid the whining but I want them next time!), two different types of beans, onions, carrots (I love carrots in a chili!), celery, and tomatoes (I left out the sundried ones) combine for a healthy, hearty chili.  The sauce is complex for your average red chili sauce; there is a little sugar, cumin, chili powder, oregano, and even some soy sauce in there.

Best of all, it's healthy and filling: one serving gets you 375 calories, 15 grams of fiber and 21 grams of protein.  Well then of course my family and I topped it with cheese and sour cream and I served it with rice, but hey, baby steps!  And really the most important part is that my family really liked it; that is really saying something, because these people love chili and they love meat.  They have a recipe that is their go-to chili, and despite the meat, even I have to agree it's good.  That's why I was a little nervous serving this to them... but it was a success either way :)  Even the leftovers were devoured  quickly.  This is a definite make-again.  I know you're doubtful, but try it.  It's only 2 steps!

Recipe:

vegan chili
from Colorful Palate
serves 8

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 onions
2 carrots
3 celery sticks
1/2 cup tomato paste
3 cups chopped tomatoes
1 cup cooked pinto beans
2 1/2 cups cooked kidney beans
1 can (4 ounces) mushrooms
1 cup vegetable broth
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup sugar
dash red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon chili powder

Instructions:

1) Place the oil in a big cooking pot.  Add the carrots, celery, and onions, and cook for about 7 minutes or so until all the vegetables are tender.

2) Add all the rest of the ingredients and cook until everything is piping hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment