Sunday, June 29, 2014

Feta and Chive Sour Cream Scones

It's actually a perfect day to be posting this recipe, even if it's a little late.  I made these scones (really I think they are biscuits, but I will call them what Joy the Baker does) June 4th.  On June 4th, I should have been packing; we were closing on our new house at 10:00 the next morning.  But I was stressed and overwhelmed, so I stress-baked.  I made a nice big batch of the amazing and always wonderful caramel pecan rolls, along with a coffee cake (my next post) and these scones.  The baking definitely helped calm my nerves, but I ended up with a cake, 24 pecan rolls, and 12 scones.  I decided to bring all my baked goods with me to the closing the next morning.

So, armed with a basket of pecan rolls and a tupperware of scones, off to the closing we went.  I won't say I wasn't still overwhelmed and nervous (I think I almost threw up at the bank when I got my down payment), but I felt good that I was bringing breakfast.  I tried to bring a box of coffee too, but in my stress, left it in my car.

Anyway, the rolls and the scones were both big hits.  The lawyer told me that I was the first person in all his years practicing law to bring food to a closing.  I was really glad that I did though.  Everyone loved them; the sellers said they had been starving and hadn't had time for breakfast, and I left lost of leftover baked goods with the secretary :) but I have to say that I loved these scones the most.  They were so amazing.  Soft, buttery and flaky, studded with feta cheese and chopped chives, topped with smoked paprika and a sprinkle of sea salt... can you imagine a better baked good in all your life?!  Because I cannot.  Why haven't I thought of savory scones before?  It's truly ingenious.

Back to why I said it was a perfect day to post about these salty, smoky, flaky little gems: they will forever remind me of the closing, the day that we officially bought this house.  This wonderful, beautiful, truly perfect house (okay, perfect except for the lack of garbage disposal but we are adding that this week).  Today the house became a bit more of a home with the addition of outdoor furniture including a grill and a fire pit!  Plus, my aunt Tracy gave me a dining room table and 2 chairs, so we don't have to eat our dinners on the floor anymore :) But the point is, today was really the first day I got to just relax here; no beach vacation, no work (summer time!!!), no parties - just being home.  I took my book outside to read, dangled my feet in the pool, and watched a little bird bringing insects to its babies in the little birdhouse nearby.  I was so incredibly content.  I love this house.  I love these scones.  See the connection? :)

Recipe:

feta and chive sour cream scones
from Joy the Baker
makes about 12 small scones

Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
3/4 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
1 egg, beaten
3 tablespoons cold water
3/4 cup sour cream, cold
1/3 cup chopped chives
3/4 cup big crumbles of feta cheese
1 egg beaten for egg wash
coarse sea salt, cracked black pepper, and smoked paprika for topping

Instructions:

1) Place rack in the center and upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2) Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

3) In a mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and black pepper.  Cut in butter (using your fingers or a pastry cutter) until mixture resembles a coarse meal.  In another bowl, combine egg, sour cream, and water.  Beat lightly with a fork.  Add to flour mixture all at once, stirring enough to make a soft and shaggy dough.  Add the chives and feta and dump mixture on a clean counter to knead the dough together.  The mixture will come together in about 10 to 15 kneads.

4) Roll or pat out into a 1-inch thickness.  Cut into 2-inch rounds using a biscuit cutter or cut into 2x2-inch squares.  Reshape and roll rough to create more biscuits with excess scraps.  Place on prepared baking sheet, brush with egg wash, and sprinkle with coarse sea salt, black pepper, and smoked paprika.  Bake for 12 - 15 minutes.  Serve warm.  These biscuits are best eaten the day they're made, but will last up to 2 days.

Pre-baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment