Sunday, October 5, 2014

Confetti Sprinkle Sugar Cookies

I'm not a fan of confetti.  To be honest, it makes me feel extremely stressed when I see confetti raining down at celebrations on TV, like on reality show finales or New Year's Eve in NYC.  I think it's because I wonder, who is cleaning all that up?  How long will it take?  Will you still be able to find little scraps of paper months later?  And couldn't some of that pre-sliced paper be sent to Glenwood since we are in a paper shortage?

This is the way my brain works.  I know.

Anyway, I don't like real-life confetti, and I don't like Funfetti either.  Kenzie and Nick are big fans of this boxed mix, which is sad and offensive (no box mixes allowed in the Ajemian house!).  In fact, I even made Nick a from-scratch Funfetti cake for his birthday this year, hoping to win him over from boxed mixes.  Then Annie's Eats came up with this recipe for confetti sugar cookies, and I knew I had to try them out.  I may not be a paper confetti or Funfetti fan, but that doesn't mean that I can't add sprinkles to my sugar cookies and make Kenzie and Nick's day!

These are pretty good cookies and they all got eaten by my family and Mark's when we had them all over for dinner a month or so ago.  This includes my mom, who groaned when she found out what I was making; I think she was pleasantly surprised.  They're sweet and adorable.  Annie points out that you can customize your sprinkle colors to go with any holiday: go green and red for Christmas, and maybe with Halloween coming up, I could make some orange and black ones?  The options are endless.  All I know is that, when I do make them again, the confetti and Funfetti-lovers of the Compound will rejoice :)  No paper necessary!

Recipe:

confetti sprinkle sugar cookies
from Annie's Eats
yield about 30 cookies

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup rainbow jimmies

Instructions:

1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.  In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.  Stir to blend, and set aside.  In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugars.  Beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 2 - 3 minutes.  Blend in the egg and vanilla.  Mix in the dry ingredients with the mixer on low speed just until incorporated.  Fold in the rainbow jimmies with a spatula.

2) Scoop the dough not balls, about 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons each.  Space them evenly on the baking sheets about 2 inches apart.  Bake, rotating the pans halfway through the baking time, until the cookies are just set and the edges are barely browned, about 15 - 16 minutes.  Let cool briefly on the baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment