Thursday, January 1, 2015

Easy Slow Cooker Turkey Breast


You can see how backlogged I am with recipes, because this is the recipe I used to cook my family a Sunday dinner the weekend before Thanksgiving.  With this being my first year as a married woman, it was strange to be going to the Ajemian Thanksgiving; I had a great time, but I was feeling nostalgic for all the years with my whole big family all together, and I knew I'd miss my mom and sisters on the big day.  So I decided to have a pre-Thanksgiving feast for them.  They helped out too - my mom made my grandmother's amazing potato stuffing, and Kenzie made squash and stuffing.  I made the roasted fall vegetables, and this turkey breast.

I didn't want  - or need - to cook a whole turkey, and  turkey breast in the slow cooker sounded right up my alley.  I liked that the idea is for the turkey to come out moist and juicy; from my meat-eating days, I remember never really liking turkey, partly because I didn't like the taste but also because I feel like it dries out so frequently.  I also liked all the spices and herbs that the turkey would be cooked with.  What I did not like was having to take said spices and rub them over the turkey and under the skin.  That was really gross and very unenjoyable.  So was removing the skin when the cooking was done; apparently it helps to keep the meat moist but the texture after slow cooking is pretty repulsive.  Yuck.  I was swearing I would never make this turkey again.

But then everyone tried it, and loved it.  It was juicy and flavorful. Nick proclaimed it the best turkey he ever had.  My mother admitted to being disappointed that rubbing the herbs and butter under the skin made such a difference - she always tries to skip that step!  I guess what I learned is that, although there are some unpleasant steps in this recipe, it is still pretty easy, and received rave reviews, so most likely the next time I need to cook a turkey, this will be the way I do it.  If you're craving another mini Thanksgiving now that the holidays are over, here's your chance.

Recipe:

easy slow cooker turkey breast
from Butter with a Side of Bread

Ingredients:
1 turkey breast (mine was bone-in, but it would be easier without it)
1 small apple
4 tablespoons butter, cut into small cubes
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
1 teaspoon crushed rosemary
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon sage
2 teaspoons onion powder

Instructions:

1) Place your turkey breast in the slow cooker.  Slice the apple.  Combine the seasonings in a small bowl.

2) Rub the seasonings on the turkey breast, making sure to get some underneath the skin.  Dot turkey with butter; again, put some underneath the skin.

3) Place the apple slices in the crockpot, on and around the turkey breast.  There is no need to add additional liquid; the butter and apple are sufficient.

4) Cook on low for 3 - 4 hours, until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.  If your turkey breast is bone-in, you'll need to cook it for 5 - 6 hours on low, checking every half hour after 4 hours.

5) Let the turkey rest after cooking in the crockpot on warm for 5 - 10 minutes.  Remove the skin just prior to serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment