Sunday, March 29, 2015

Buttery Spritz Cookies

Happy Cookie Sunday!

In my next Cookie Sunday installment, I bring you buttery spritz cookies.  I first used my cookie press back in December to make the pomegranate spritz cookies, and I was hooked.  You make the dough, but then there's no rolling, fussing, cutting, or hard work to get your cookies to look pretty (and we all know I struggle with that).  You simply choose your "stencil," put the dough in the press, and start clicking the trigger.  I had Mark choose the design for these buttery spritz cookies.  Thus we have these delightful little flowers.

This recipe makes a huge amount of cookies.  They looked lovely on the island all week and Mark took them to work every day.  I sent over quite a few to my mother, who was hooked on them.  They're just kind of addicting.  They're crunchy, buttery, and sweet, and small enough that it feels okay to eat multiple in one sitting.

Should you want to get real fancy, you can decorate the cookies with sprinkles, colored sugar or melted chocolate.  Depending on what you want to use, there are 2 chances to add your decor: before or after baking.  Next time I will probably add some colored sugar before I bake them just to add a little bling, but they certainly don't need it!

Recipe:

buttery spritz cookies
from Taste of Home
makes 90 cookies

Ingredients:
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cups confectionary sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

Instructions:

1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  In a large bowl, cream butter and confectionary sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in egg and extracts.  Combine flour and salt.  Gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.

2) Using a cookie press fitted with the disk of your choice, press dough 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets.  If desired, decorate with colored sugar and sprinkles.

3) Bake 6 - 8 minutes or until set (do not brown).  Remove to wire racks to cool completely.  If desired, dip baked cookies in melted candy coating and decorate with sprinkles.  Let stand until set.


No comments:

Post a Comment