Monday, April 13, 2015

Crispy Baked Matchstick Fries

Guys, I have become a real believer in fake meat.  I know you probably all have your doubts, but I have been intrigued by vegetarian meats since I made the no chicken vegan pad thai a year or so ago. It's so meat-like, it's almost too meaty for me.  I like to call the fake chicken ficken, because it's funny and it freaks people out. Besides ficken breasts, I've also seen ficken nuggets, fake tips, fausage, fot dogs, forn dogs... you name it.  And lately I have been trying more and more of these (forn dogs anyone!?) and being happily surprised with the results.

So, yeah, I bought some ficken nuggets.  And they are so good.  I know you probably don't believe me, but it's true.  Back in my meat eating days, I usually liked chicken nuggets.  I say usually, because half of the time, you bite into a chicken nugget and your teeth bounce off something like a tendon or something, and then you're disgusted and can't finish your meal.  I swear this is the worst part about meat.  But ficken nuggets?  No tendons.  Nothing gross.  And no one died for your nugget. They're quite chicken-like, but you can chomp right into them without fear!

Okay so get to the recipe, right?  What better lunch than ficken nuggets and french fries!?  I had the ficken, but I was on my own for french fries.  I found this recipe and decided to try it out.  There was no soaking or frying involved, and they promised to be crispy and delicious.  Sold.

The hardest part about the recipe was cutting the potatoes into matchsticks.  I don't want to tell you how long it took, or how much my arm ached when I was done.  But the good thing is, every other step in this recipe is quick and simple.  Fresh, salt fries coming your way fast.

What I do want to tell you about is the fries.  They really were crispy and delicious.  Salty, crispy, and wonderful, these guys were the perfect addition to a ficken nugget for lunch.  Or, I suppose, they'd be fine with real meat too.

The original recipe suggests flavoring them with freshly sautéed garlic, but I wanted my fries to taste like salt and potatoes, so I left them out.  If you want to give it a try, visit the original recipe and enjoy your garlic breath!

Recipe:

crispy baked matchstick fries
from Minimalist Baker
serves 4

Ingredients:
3 - 4 russet potatoes, scrubbed clean and dried
1/4 cup olive or canola oil
sea salt and black pepper

Instructions:

1) Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

2) Chop potatoes into matchsticks by halving, halving once more, then cutting into wedges, then strips.

3) Line two baking sheets with foil and generously spray with nonstick spray.  Add fries plus a generous drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper.  Toss to coat.

4) Arrange fries in a single layer, making sure they aren't touching too much.  This will help them crisp up and cook evenly.

5) Bake for 25 - 35 minutes, tossing/flipping at least once to ensure even baking.  When fries are finished, remove from oven and sprinkle again with sea salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment