Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Green Smoothie

I told you I was on a smoothie kick lately.  First it was smoothies of my own creation (think lots of berries, almond milk, Greek yogurt and ice), then the peanut butter and jelly smoothie, and now... this green smoothie.  I've always secretly wanted to try one when people posted pictures of themselves with green beverages, even though part of me was also a little nervous.  I had to start my smoothie kick with more "normal" ones, gateway smoothies, if you will.  And then I worked slowly up to... this green monster.

Don't be scared.  Green smoothies - at least this one - don't taste like vegetables.  Even we vegetarians don't want to drink sweet veggies for breakfast.  Yes, it's green because there is spinach in there, but you can't taste it.  You just get the benefits of all their vitamins and nutrients!  What you do taste is the whole fresh orange, banana, and strawberries (I also added a few green grapes that I had left over), all blended with Greek yogurt and ice.  The end result is a sweet, fruity, icy smoothie that is far healthier than it tastes.  Plus it's green, so if you wanted to post pictures of yourself with it in Instagram like everyone else seems to do, you can totally do it.  I didn't, but maybe next time? #greensmoothieselfie?

Recipe:

green smoothie
from Two Peas and Their Pod
yield 2 servings

Ingredients:
1 large orange, peeled and segmented
1/2 of a large banana, cut into chunks
6 large strawberries
2 cups spinach
1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 cup ice

Instructions:

1) Put all of the ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Pour into glasses and serve.

2) If you want to save the extra serving for tomorrow (I did), pour extra into an air-tight container and freeze.  Take the smoothie out of the freezer about 30 minutes before you want to drink it.  You can also store it in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment