Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Mexican Haystacks, Two Ways

I was just sharing my blog with someone and explaining that, while I am a vegetarian, many members of my family (okay, all of them) are not.  So most of my recipes are meat-free, but every now and then I have to throw the rest of them a bone (literally.  I made ribs on Sunday).

One nice trick I have learned is to figure out a way to make both a meaty and meatless meal at the same time like my vegetarian blog-idol, Kitchen Treaty with her One Dish, Two Ways section.  Here's my first attempt at making the same kind of compromise dish: Mexican haystacks.  Traditionally, haystacks are piles of rice, salsa, ground turkey, and toppings.  I suppose this looks like haystacks?  I like to mix mine all together, but they do look pretty cute with all the separate layers.

Of course, ground turkey isn't my cup of tea, and when I went to the grocery store, I couldn't find any (couldn't even find ground chicken).  Totally fine with me!  I decided to make a vegetarian version using beans in place of the turkey.  Should you want the meat version for your family, go for it.  If you'd rather the beans, kudos to you!  Or, should you want to go with both, that's totally possible too; just cut your garlic powder, salsa and onion in half and cook the beans with one half and the meat with the other.  Dinner, done.  Everyone, happy.

With that said, I should add that my family loved the vegetarian version of these haystacks.  They are so fresh and bright - do not skip the mango!  The toppings tie everything together and make it special!

Recipe:

Mexican Haystacks, Two Ways
adapted from Whole and Free
serves 6 - 8

Ingredients:
for rice:
2 cups uncooked brown rice
1 bunch fresh cilantro
for meat or bean layer:
1 1/2 pounds ground turkey or 2 14-ounce cans kidney beans
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
4 cups salsa
toppings:
1 - 2 avocados, chopped
1 - 2 red peppers, chopped
1 - 2 ripe mangoes, chopped
fresh cilantro

Instructions:

1) Start your brown rice in a pot on the stove according to package instructions.

2) If you're making the meat version, add ground turkey and chopped onion to a large sauce pan.  Add garlic powder, salt and pepper.  When the turkey is browned, add salsa.  Bring the salsa to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.  Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.  In the meantime, chop the cilantro, pepper, avocado and mango.

or

2) If you're making the vegetarian version, add beans and chopped onion to a large sauce pan.  Add garlic powder, salt and pepper.  When the turkey is browned, add salsa.  Bring the salsa to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.  Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.  In the meantime, chop the cilantro, pepper, avocado and mango.

or

2) If you're making both meat and vegetarian versions, add ground turkey and 1/2 chopped onion to a medium sauce pan.  Brown turkey.  Add beans and the other 1/2 onion to another medium sauce pan.  Add 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder to both, followed by 2 cups salsa to each pan.  Bring the salsa to a boil, then cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.   In the meantime, chop the cilantro, pepper, avocado and mango.

3) When rice is done, stir in almost all of the fresh cilantro, leaving enough to garnish each dish.

4) To serve, stack
rice and meat/beans on each plate, and allow everyone to choose their own toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment