Saturday, July 18, 2015

Crispy Coconut Lime Baked Cauliflower Tacos

I have long been a believer in the power of cauliflower.  In my opinion, it was underrated for many years, but it's making a comeback.  People are all about cauliflower pizza crust and buffalo cauliflower (both of which are on my list of things to try), and I have been to a restaurant that served baked cauliflower heads that look amazing.  And, of course, there's my old favorite (and Kenzie's!), the pulled cauliflower BBQ sandwiches.  Clearly I was very intrigued when I found this recipe: cauliflower that is breaded in panko and coconut, and baked to a crispy golden perfection that looks a hell of a lot like fried fish!  Then there is an exquisite sweet and sour slaw, and you toss it all into a taco with sour cream.  I know you may be skeptical, because my whole family was, but read on.  And check out these pictures.  And admit that even though you doubt me, you have to admit that they look pretty good.

The secret is cutting the cauliflower into long thin strips that look like fish.  And the other secret is dunking it into coconut milk and lime juice and zest before breading it in panko, cornmeal, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder, and turmeric (the turmeric adds a good yellow color).  So, secrets divulged.  The sweet and sour slaw is not to be missed either: red and green cabbage and carrots flavored with lime juice, vinegar, and maple syrup.

The send result?  Gorgeous looking tacos that could trick people into thinking they are about to eat fish tacos, but are tasty enough so that they won't be pissed when they realize it's actually cauliflower.  Kenzie was very pleasantly surprised, and we invited her friend Sue and my aunt Susie over to partake as well, and they both agreed that they were delicious.  That's 4 happy cauliflower taco eaters, including me, so you don't just have to take my word for it.  If you're in the mood to try something new for meatless Monday, please give this a try.  The flavors and textures are incredible for something so healthy!

The creator of this recipe has asked that I not write out the recipe here, but direct people to her blog.  See below for the link!

Recipe:

crispy coconut lime baked cauliflower tacos
from Veggie Inspired Journey

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Bridget. I'm so glad you and your friends/family liked the recipe so much! It's the most popular recipe on my site. I'm also appreciative of you sharing your experience with the recipe. I have to ask you though, that you please link to my recipe page for the ingredients and instructions instead of listing everything out here. Please let me know if you have any questions. You can e-mail me at veggieinspiredjourney@gmail.com. Thanks! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to back up Jenn above. I love this recipe of hers and it's not okay to write out food bloggers recipes in full. The correct way is to simply link to their blog. We work really hard to create awesome recipes and when people don't thank us by simply providing a link, in order to drive traffic to our blogs, it gets frustrating. Hope you fix this for Jenn!

    ReplyDelete